Saturday, January 21, 2012

Etta James Passes (+ Local Reaction)


Unfortunatley, the Blues world lost one of its giants on Friday January 20, 2012.
The legendary Etta James passed away at 73, after a battle with leukemia. Our condolences to her friends, family and all countless fans across the world.

Click here for the CBC story.

Reaction has already hit Twitter and Facebook. Here are what a few local musicians are saying:

Susan Wylde: "A true inspiration for this blues woman. She won 6 Grammies, opened for the Rolling Stones and let go of a heroin addiction. I recorded her tune At Last on my recent CD as a tribute to Etta - listening to her was the main reason I got into the blues."

Astrid Young: "... what a voice, what an incredible life. I had the pleasure of seeing her on many occasions, both jazz and blues Etta. both awesome, and wildly influential for me. Thanks for all that awesomeness ... let's all 'pitch a wang dang doodle' in her honor tonight"

Rita Chiarelli
: "Etta James…how I loved her! I remember when I was first turned on to her and her music… many years ago…I was still finding my voice so to speak…so a live recording …Etta with dyed blond hair and her arm in ‘tenser’ bandage…she looked wild! I put the LP on the turntable and listened to every vocal ‘lick’….it was magic…Thank you Etta… you were one of the very best …you inspired all who heard you…we owe you a lot and your voice, your music will be cherished and live forever….…rest in peace Etta…you deserve it…with love and respect…"

Denis Keldie: R.I.P. Etta -- the greatest singer I ever played with, back in 1986, when she was truly at the top of her game.

Lori Yates
: RIP Miss Etta! You made the world a better place!


Links: Etta James, More Etta James Covers/Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment