Thursday, March 7, 2013

Stompin' Tom Connors Passes + Local Reaction


Canadian icon and music legend Stompin' Tom Connors passed away on March 6, 2013 of natural causes at the age of 77.  He was a beloved musician who trancended genres and generations.  Our condolences to his family, friends and fans.

The singer/songwriter left a letter to his fans to be released after his death:

Hello friends, I want all my fans, past, present, or future, to know that without you, there would have not been any Stompin' Tom.

It was a long hard bumpy road, but this great country kept me inspired with its beauty, character, and spirit, driving me to keep marching on and devoted to sing about its people and places that make Canada the greatest country in the world.

I must now pass the torch, to all of you, to help keep the Maple Leaf flying high, and be the Patriot Canada needs now and in the future.

I humbly thank you all, one last time, for allowing me in your homes, I hope I continue to bring a little bit of cheer into your lives from the work I have done.

Sincerely,

Your Friend always,

Stompin' Tom Connors

----

Ronnie "the Hawk" Hawkins was interviewed  on CHCH about the superstar.  He told a story about worrying about Tom when he played to university kids who don't usually like his style of music.  Tom earned a standing ovation from them.  "I haven't worried about him since." The Hawk exclaimed.

Click here for the CHCH video report

Click here for a photo slideshow from the Spec

----

Local reaction came quickly on social media.  Here are a few highlights:

David Crossley (Deacons): "You can't really explain to people in other parts of the world who (or how important) Stompin' Tom was, because there really is no equivalent in other cultures"


Dave Gould: "Tom Connors has inspired me more than almost any singer/songwriter in my life. His lyrics got me through elementary school geography. I owe a big part of my appreciation for Canada to him. I am sad he is gone. R.I.P. Tom."

Tia McGraff: "Thank you Stompin' Tom for all your great music, and honoring Canada!
You are in our hearts and music forever."

----

Hamilton Cartoonists Graeme McKay toon about Stompin' Tom

---- 

Here are a few live videos of Tom from Hamilton Place, courtesy of PeterRabbit59





Click here for Stompin' Tom's web site. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous (News Roundup w Clapton, Mike Almas, John M Crawford, more) - - - Next (Ben Caplan Wins East Coast Music Award)

No comments:

Post a Comment